Ketogenic fried chicken basic information
Most people consider fried chicken and keto diet like day and night. Deep frying, the primary cook way of fried chicken, adds carbs to the dish. Therefore it is hard to deep fry in the ketogenic diet. Secondly, flour, which is a necessary ingredient in fried chicken, is a taboo in a ketogenic diet.
Before we start with ketogenic fried chicken here is some background information about fried chicken:
- I always thought that its origin is from the southern states. But the truth is that the Scottish invented it.
- It was not always an everyday dish like today. Up until the early 1900s, it was a special occasion dish.
- Brining the chicken tenderize and keep it moist, nevertheless later I will explain an alternative method.
How to adjust fried chicken to a ketogenic diet?
First, you need to replace flour with a low carb substitute. You can find many recommended alternatives on the web. Among them: sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, protein powder, coconut flour, almond flour bread, etc. I tried most of the recommended substitutes. My favorite is almond flour.
Second, you need to decide how to fry the chicken. The best way is to use an air fryer. If you don’t have one or don’t know what it is, I recommend you to read this article. Second, best is to use a deep fryer. Deep fryer advantage is that you can adjust the temperature. If you are looking for a deep fryer, I recommend you to read this article. The third way is to use a pan. If you use a deep fryer or a pan be aware that not all oil are keto friendly. You should use peanut oil which has a high smoke point and a good nutrition profile.
Third, you should brine your chicken cuts. Put them in a brine made off 4 tablespoons of salt per 1 quart (4 cups) of water for two hours. Wash them in fresh water and dry with a paper towel. If you use sous vide, I recommend you to pre-cook the chicken cuts. This is the best way to get moisty ketogenic fried chicken. If you don’t have or don’t know what is sous vide, I recommend you to read this article.
The best ketogenic fried chicken recipe.
This is my recommended ketogenic fried chicken recipe.
- Put your chicken cuts in a brine made from 4 tablespoons of salt per 1 quart (4 cups) of water for two hours.
- Wash your chicken cuts in fresh water and dry them with a paper
- Sous vide pre-cooking – if you have sous vide machine pre-cook your meat cuts (you should prepare it for 145f. Cooking time is different for chicken breast (1.5 hours) and chicken thin (3 hours).
- Mix almond flour with garlic powder, paprika salt, and black
- Place the chicken cuts in the mixture make sure each piece is well coated.
- Fry the chicken cuts in 280f until it’s brown and well done.
Ketogenic fried chicken video recommendation
Ketogenic fried chicken online recipe recommendation
Best keto fried chicken
Healthy keto fried chicken that’s crispy and crunchy, made with boneless thigh meat “breaded” in almond flour and parmesan cheese. Low carb and gluten free.
Crispy coconut crusted chicken (keto and paleo friendly)
These crispy, coconut crusted ketogenic fried chicken tenders are awesome. You can use an air fryer, a traditional fryer, or just pan-fried to cook it.
Almond & coconut paleo fried chicken
This fried chicken has a crispy, crunchy coating on it – from almond flour, shredded coconut. It has double-dredge with three steps: first one coat with coconut flour, second coat with eggs, and the third combine spices, shredded coconut, and almond flour.